Re: smog.....check (long)

Jonas,

Congrats on your passing smog.

I find that alot of smog guys don't know all their stuff.  One time they told
me I was missing the pre-heat manifold system, because they saw the studs on
the exhaust manifold and there was no sheetmetal attached to it.  Well I am
the original owner and I know there was never a pre-heat manifold(the studs
are leftover from the carb days), but he wouldn't continue the inspection.  I
think it might have something to do with the older cars too.  Not as many
people remember what to look for and in a couple of years, we will go off the
inspection list(if they don't move the date again).

-Dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner
http://member.aol.com/sailingfc/

<<So I yanked the sensor and plugged the hole with the plug that came with a
header. Took it in this morning (different place) and it passed!!!

The amazing thing is that it has a knock sensing ignition, and so the
distributor does not have any vacuum advance mechanisms. Luckily the engine
bay does not have any stickers of the vacuum connections, so he didn't check
it that closely. I don't think their book has vacuum diagrams.>>