Re: smog.....check (long)

>From: "Jonas Karlsson" <jonas85k@hotmail.com>

>The amazing thing is that it has a knock sensing ignition, and so the
>distributor does not have any vacuum advance mechanisms. Luckily the engine
>bay does not have any stickers of the vacuum connections, so he didn't
>check
>it that closely. I don't think their book has vacuum diagrams.
>
>I'm happy.
>
>Jonas

Hmmmm...I guess it depends on how thorough the smog check guy is.  I have
yet to find an idiot (in the best sense) checker guy.  Usually the smog guys
in SoCal are nazis.  They really nit-pick everything.  One guy jacked up my
16v because he had to actually see with his eyes that there was an oxygen
sensor.  The O2 sensor is on top of the cat, so it's hard to see unless you
stick your head underneath the car.  I assured him that it was there and I
even showed him the wiring harness for it which is visible next to the
intake.  And this was just for a PRE-CHECK that wasn't even official!!  He
looked at the vacuum routing diagram under the hood and checked that the
color-coded lines were going to the places they should be.  He was also
giving me static because the carbon canister and vacuum valve is in the
fender and he was saying the vacuum valve should be in the main engine
compartment because he needs to actually see that it's there!  So count your
blessings that you found a smog guy who's not part of the ghestapo!!  If my
car didn't have a smog sticker, I'm sure he wouldn't have inspected the car
at all.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition