RE: Gas Prices Protest Letter (SUV related)

Brian:

   I'm up to my eye balls in Cub and Boy Scouts already there. Actually I fixed
the ski gear problem by renting a full time locker in West Portal at Winter Park
and we have a place just down the road in Fraser. In my case instead of the boat
I've got an PCA legal Group I racer that is street legal. Took a second in my
class at a PCA event just last weekend, my wife won her class, and we drove it
home.

   Now take a moment and go to a junk yard, and look for yourself, it doesn't
take long to see what vehicles best suffer the stupidity of man or woman kind.
Most people I see on the street scare the hell out of me. I've be SCCA road
racing for almost 20 years in FVee, FFord, and now Porsche Club. The more time I
spend on the track the more I'm convinced that the average soccer mom with a
cell phone to her ear driving a SUV is much more dangerous that any kid in a
Honda out there. They not only need to learn how to drive but be in a machine
that support pro-active safety, not pop culture marketing departments idea of
"passive saftey".

    Mass velocity (squared) does play into the equation, but with a lighter more
maneuverable machine one can work on missing the "event". Let face it the CG of
any SUV is much higher than that of a car. Suspension are just truck so body
roll and suspension jacking are very great, getting one on its lid doesn't take
much, just trying to avoid a indecent one can easily flip one.

   By the by you really need room for 5??? I could get 5 in the Audi, don't need
to but maybe if you looked at ... say a A6 Avant, or even an old 200 Avant with
a Yak rack. Again trucks are for towing race cars or maybe boats, so then by a
cheap truck to tow the boat and put your loved ones in the safer car.

Rick Glesner
Littleton, Colorado