RE: Gas Prices Protest Letter (SUV related)

Brian:

>But, it's safe for my wife and kids to be in

  Your going to hate this but that Suburban is about as UNSAFE as you can get. I
get amazingly tired of this drivel about being in a steel womb. Just last year a
bunch of kids were killed (and managed to kill most of another family) on I470
in a Suburban. Last week there was a quite graphic picture of a Dodge Ram crew
cab with a crushed top and a dead driver. The vehicle doesn't have the roll over
protection of you Passat, it doesn't have to meet the same crash protection
tests of a passenger vehicle. The only way the "vehicle" has any "greater"
protection is on the same plane as the ladder frame, and then all the forces are
transmitted straight into the passengers. The SUV movement is a waste of
resources, and lives. The only thing a truck is good for is towing a race car.
That's it! Give your wife the Passat, or buy her a nice quattro is your looking
for a safe all-wheel drive.
  Also give up the car camping...use your feet...you'll see more of the country
and harm it less.

Rick Glesner
Littleton, Colorado
'90q20v