Re: Done with VW's, I've had it.

At 11:51 AM 6/16/2000 , you wrote:

>I like the e30 idea too, esp a nice sleeper 325Is.... but who knows. At
>this point I can't afford to dream too much, I have a scirocco to take
>care of and drive. Thanks,
>Gary Huff

Gary,
         Normally I wouldn't even enter into a discussion like this -- as
it doesn't make any difference to me in the grand scheme of things if you
drive a VW, Honda, or a Yugo.  However, I have a lot of experience with
older German cars, and I think your reliability issues with your car have
less to do with the fact that it's a VW, or it's German, or it's
anything.  It's an old car.

         I've had lots of experience with Money Pits... that's just the way
old cars are.  You have to make a decision on whether it's worth it to you
to (a) have no repairs and a large car payment, or (b) have no car payment
and have to pay for repairs.

         For me, the decision is clear -- I'd be bored to tears if my cars
never broke.  Then again, if my cars never ran right, they'd be out the
door in 2.3 seconds flat.  What you need to do is find a car that you like,
you can afford, and that's reliable.... whatever it is.

         But any car can be unreliable -- I had to Lemon Law a Toyota
Corolla.  It's the luck of the draw.

And please don't complain about how expensive VW parts are-- I have a MB
190 and my best friend drives a 325is.  You want to talk about expensive
parts?  VWs are cheap -- we just all don't think so cause we're poor. :)

And a word of advice about the e30s:  They're great cars, don't get me
wrong.  The motor is the best thing this side of an orgasm, and the chassis
is sooo much fun (though a little tail happy).  However, the Motronic on
the later cars (i.e. the 2.5 liter cars) is just as (if not more) finicky
as CIS-E... and stock e30s do *not* handle well.  Dropped 2" with great
tires and all kinds of sway bars, they're a blast -- but stock they're
nowhere near a stock 16V Scirocco.

Good luck whatever you decide. :)
Jason

1987 Scirocco 16v