Re: Done with VW's, I've had it.

Scott Williams wrote:

> Dude, a Camaro? (cold chill) Come on, man... Why do you suppose that you can find them for "dirt" [cheap]? Because they are crude heavy piggish cars :) But come on...... throttle induced oversteer...... You can't beat the fun in that unless your driving something extremely expensive :) The third generation Z28's aren't bad for the price and what you can do with them. But like I said, I'm not going to be able to afford to pickup another toy for a long time.

> You're obviously frustrated for good reason. Your car is apparently just a hoopty, plain and simple. As much as your experience is real, the fact is that all VWs are not like that. I've been daily driving the Warpig for three years and rallying it the whole while. The reliability is impressive whether it be for commuting to work or hustling down a trail at 80mph. How many crap VWs have you owned, anyway. Or is this your first (albeit horrible) experience.

It keeps breaking and breaking.... heh. I like it too much, and have too
much in it to part with it so it becomes a permanent piece of my
arsenal. Some VW's are great others are just piles of garbage that
constantly break. Production quality at the factories must have
radically changed from one day to another.

> As for your non-VW choices here are my comments:
>
> Mazda 323 GTX: -awesome car! If I was starting another project this might be it. In modified form it offers AWD, excellent horsepower for cheap, good reliability, and a great story to tell about it, too. However, they have very weak transmissions. Given the rarity of the car you'll pay up the ying yang for any GTX-specific parts. Forget about the VW annoyances, you haven't seen anything yet!..

Yeah, I'd equate this to owning a Ur-Quattro just a little easier to
find parts. That would be an extreme if I bought one, which I don't
think would happen unless I scored a job making way too much money.

> E30 BMW: -another great choice. The quality far surpasses VWs of the same era. Parts are easy to come by but you're still going to *pay*. A decent entry-level Bimmer is also going to cost you at least double or triple of a good A1 chassis VW.

Of course. It says BMW on it, triple the price you would expect to pay
for parts and or services, especially if it's one of those really neat
e30's with an M badge, or an AWD 32* IX. But, would paying more up front
for better handling and what not make up for the time I'm spending under
the hood and the hassle I go through trying to get what I want out of my
scirocco? I don't know, that's to yet be determined :) Either way I
can't think of anyone stupid enough to insure me driving an e30 M3 or a
32*IX. I sure wouldn't insure me driving one.

> Nissan 280ZX: I hope you like chassis restorations and fixing lots of vacume leaks (turbo models). I love the simplicity of the 240s and 260s but the 280s are the same archaic design plus lots of complicated add ons. They're an end of life edition that will drive you up the wall if it isn't a pristine example to begin with.

Again, throttle induced oversteer with a little grace and decent gas
mileage compared to a camaro. I've stopped thinking of mustangs, because
I don't like the idea of driving a car that was based on the same
chassis as the ford granada....... The 280zx's are wicked cars, and can
be made to do some very neat things. problem is, find one that doesn't
have basketball sized rot holes in it! I'd never opt for a 3rd gen TT
300zx either, I'd never get insured and never be able to afford
upkeep/maintenance on one.

> Mazda RX-7: Buy a Turbo in fine condition and you'll have a good time. It'll guzzle gas like a mofo but... at least it is better than guzzling gas in a non-Turbo (150hp) lead slead. I don't know about replacement prices but you'll pay a lot more to get into one of these than the VW.

I'd love a 2nd gen Turbo RX-7, but again finding one that hasn't been
ragged out, rode hard and put away wet is next to impossible. People
also know what they are, and will charge accordingly. This is probably
not too viable of an option either, as finding one without baseball size
holes of rust is pretty difficult. Maybe an older RX-3? *drool* Nothing
like a well built wenkle you can wind to 15 grand. I wouldn't even
consider owning a 3rd gen car, with the limited production numbers parts
will be ridiculous when they get old enough to start breaking.

> Mustang/Camaro: Here are your gas guzzling, poorly assembled, foul handling throwbacks to the Cretaceous period. If your Scirocco is anywhere near as unreliable as these boats then just chuck it and start with a fresh one.

Heh, I like the second and third generation camaros :) The second gen's
rot like crazy, and are bondo sleds when you get them but it's a classic
piece of 70's metal. The third generation 82-91 Camaro's aren't bad. The
chassis is *VERY* stiff, and the car is very well balanced. Gas mileage
wouldn't be too bad with a well built small block esp. if I stuck with
GM's nice trouble free sequential multiport EFI. Contrary to popular
belief, they don't handle all that bad either. Parts are cheap and
everywhere along with the bang for the buck factor. I'm looking into all
my options for the next toy even though it wont be for a long time. I
think if I did go this route, I'd pick up one of the old 83-85 iron duke
camaro's with a 2.5l and consequently swap in a moderately built small
block along with a fair amount of suspension work. It would be fun
trying to maintain decent gas mileage out of a SBC while still getting
good amounts of power out of it. But nothing is written in stone yet,
and im concentrating on the now which is repairing, maintaining, and
driving my scirocco.

> And Gary, you're neither a hick or a greaseball... :^)

*hyuk hyuk* I wash myself with a rag on a stick..... Yeah, mustangs and
all really get a bad rap from all the hicks driving them with their
1000CFm overfueling carbs on a car that would make just as much power
with something around the 500's.....  But that's a whole different
discussion and what not. If I did get a large RWD high displacement car
it wouldn't be a redneck mobile :)

> Of all of these choices I think you'd be happiest in the long run with the BMW. The Mazda will also treat you well. Good luck, bro!

I like the e30 idea too, esp a nice sleeper 325Is.... but who knows. At
this point I can't afford to dream too much, I have a scirocco to take
care of and drive. Thanks,
Gary Huff