Re: All this "done with VW's" crap

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000 15:32:40 -0400 Feenix <feenix@javanet.com> writes:

>P.S. The other day I finally replaced my ball joints. They were the
>originals, still rivited into the control arm. 20 years they lasted!
>This car still rides tighter than most cars half its age. What are you
>idiots bitching about? Go buy a Honda.

I think you made a good point until you got into the name calling.
Absolutely not necessary.

The hard truth about anything, not just cars and not specifically VW's
either is, all mechanical things have a service life. Some more than
others and its all intensely related to how well the car had been taken
care of, Maintenance is crucial from day one.

Another funny thing I come across quite often is people buying cheap used
cars bitching about what a POS it is. Duh, you pay $500 and you expect a
trouble free car for the rest of your life? Heres a clue for those people
who think this way.

The old adages of "you can pay me now, or you can pay me later" should be
considered whenever buying any car. The next cliche "You get what you pay
for" applies also.

One needs to consider when buying a car, do you want a set monthly
payment where you pretty much don't have to worry about the car other
than the basic maintenance repair bill? Or, (Where people make mistakes
and then complain about later) do you want a cheap car that you will
spend an unknown variable amount of your monthly income on parts/labor?

Probably the biggest issue one should consider is who will do the work?
WHOA! This is a major factor in how much one will spend. My shop charges
$75 per hour. I know some shops charge $90 and up. I know I sure couldn't
of been able to afford any of my VW's if I didn't do all my own labor
myself. Quite frankly, I couldn't imagine paying someone else to work on
my car. Id have spent way over $60,000 in labor on my Scirocco alone.
EASILY.

Keep it real kids.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' future "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!