Re: All this "done with VW's" crap

Hey, hey, hey!!

> I personally see exactly where he's coming from...  VW's are crap for
> reliability.  Sure, they are a blast to drive, have "character", etc...
and
> I have had several nice ones along with several pieces of shit.  I too got
> sick of always needing to do something to them

I would say after the first few years dabbling in watercooled (except for
that "Westmoreland" incident) VW has put out some VERY reliable cars.  VWs
become temperamental once modifications are done.  I built a 1835cc beetle
with a 110 engle cam, dual kadrons, .041 heads, balanced, counterweighted
crank, lightened flywheel, porsche clutch, .009 distributor, bosch blue
coil, header, external oil filter and cooler, etc.  And I was ALWAYS working
on it.  Before the mods it was a 1600 stock dual port and I hardly ever had
to work on it (points, plugs, once in a while).  Now I have a 77 Rabbit that
had over 200,000 miles on the stock 1.6L 4spd.  It did burn a valve so I did
the head and rings and rod bearings and they are looked next to new!!  I
could still see the hone marks on the cylinders and there was barely any
ridge at all.  Now it has a 2.0L 16v 5spd (ETC!!)  and it seems like I am
always working on it.

Just my $.02!

Dave