Re: What's wrong with my 2.0 16V

Shannon,

I'm no expert, but there are two things in your story that I think have to do with your problem.

they are :

 > Slightly decked to create perfect mating surface

and

 > we checked the timing and it was WAY off

I put a timing belt on my Golf a few years ago.  I put it on a tooth off.  Man, the thing would SCREW at high RPM's, but it took a week to get going.  A quick phone call to my engine Guru confirmed my mistake. "off one way, sick top end.  Off a tooth in the other direction, nutty bottom end" he said.

So here is my theory, your valve timing is off slightly due to the decking.  The distance between the pulley on the head to the pulley down below has changed enough to put both your cam, and ignition timing off relative to the crankshaft.

I think if you get one of those adjustable pulleys, you can "fix" it.

Is that a tidy "car-talkiean" answer or what?

Good luck,

Dan Brideau
http://www.hobbyetc.com/scirocco/