What's wrong with my 2.0 16V??LONG

All,

	Well as you all know if you read any of my posts my 2.0 16V just doesn't
seem to be running as fast as what it should. Allot of you have asked me
specific questions on it but I haven't had time to answer till today. So
here's the lowdown and keep in mind this motor had to be swapped in in two
days:

2.0 9A Block of unknown origin and mileage
	Rebuilt with all new bearings and rings
	One thing of note was slight non-factory scoring left in cylinder walls
	Acceptable play in oil pressure gears and shaft clearances
2.0 Head (sold to me as a brand new 1.8 head..ebay buyers beware) with less
than 50 miles on it.
	Ported and knife edged port features
	Slightly decked to create perfect mating surface
	Neuspeed euro cam installed from previous 1.8 head
	You can see pics of the port job at www.scirocco16v.com under the New Car
Mods section.
New Sachs 2.0 Clutch
TT Racing downpipe with no cat and brand new O2 Sensor
TT Catback with straight thru Magnaflow Muffler
K&N Filter with drilled airbox

OK..now to the problems. I hate to be so broad but the car just feels slow.
I can feel the torque of the 2.0 while just puttering around town but under
WOT the car just seems to be...well..dead. My previous 1.8 would eat this
2.0 for lunch under WOT. I know of two or three 1.8 rocs in the area that I
know they would smoke me. The 2.0 just refuses to have any pull. Day to day
running the car is great, its starts very quickly, idles smooth, no pinging
or adverse problems. This is seat of the pants testing here...that and some
drag time. I barely beat a Honduh accord up a hill when he was fully loaded
with four people...come on now, that's just sad.

Things I've done to try figure out what's going on. ChrisD and I this
weekend hooked up his test rig to test the mixture. I'm not sure of the
specifics but it is a multi-meter plugged in with a harness between the fuel
distributor and the brain? Chirs? Anyway he says it should read somewhere
around the 10-12 range and my car reads a constant 23.23. Chris also says
this number should be constantly fluctuating due to the output from the O2
sensor but the number remains very solid unless the throttle is opened up
for a short period of time then the number decreases. We put a brand new O2
sensor in and it made no change. Chris indicates that the 23 number means
the motor is running excessively lean. However under hard acceleration I get
a quite bit of black rich smoke telling me the motor is running rich.
Anyone? I am very hesitant to drill out the metal plug in the fuel
distributor and possibly screw things up worse. Now here's the kicker...we
checked the timing and it was WAY off, amd it was decided that is was way
off because when it was set the throttle cable was not in the correct
position (at idle all the way closed) and activating the idle switch. We
fixed the cable position and re-timed the car. We then drove the car to the
car wash and it pulled like a MoFo! Washed the car and the engine bay, and
for the first time in 4 years of washing the engine bay something got wet
and the car barely ran for 20 mins or so but then went back to pulling like
a monster all the way home. Wake up and fire up the car Sunday and it was
back to its sluggish self. Slow acceleration and no passing power. Haven't
rechecked the timing but the distributor is tight and could not have
slipped. Ughh....I've had Brad drive it and he thought it drove normal but
it just feels weak and after chasing some 1.8 16Vs down this weekend they
just walked past me on the HWY even after kicking it down to 4th. And while
even as everyone had a disappointing day at the track, 16 second 1/4 miles
with all the money and effort I have put into this car is pretty
aggravating. My Et isnt the best but you all know thats too slow.

What needs to be checked:
	Timing confirmed
	Compression Check
	Spark Plugs
My theories:
	Head job bad
	Blown Head gasket
	Whacked fuel mixture
	17inch wheels (felt a drop in acceleration when I got them and still had
the 1.8, but 	nothing like it is now.)

So for the millionth time since I bought this car is sits in garage while I
kick myself for loving it so much. Welcome once again to Scirocco Ownership.
Please help....

Thank you for your time.
Shannon Fenton
Telecom Resource Management