Re: fun with wiring

Feenix wrote:

> Here is a new problem for my 80 Mk1. The turn signal lights both front
> and rear are too dim to see in daylight. This I found out by almost
> getting hit and then seeing the finger and someone yelling "blinker
> asshole!", which WAS on. Anyway, I changed the bulbs and still no change
> in brightness. I would say the bulbs aren't getting enough juice. This
> car has been full of electrical gremlins that I have been getting rid of
> one by one. It still needs a new fuse box but that can wait. Anyone have
> any ideas? Now I'm thinking wiring or flasher relay. Seeing as how its
> both front and rear I'm thinking relay. Anyone else experience this
> issue yet?
>
> Feenix
> 80 1.8
>
> --

The thing to do is recondition the electrical contacts, esp. the
grounds. You will find in the back of the car, behind those press board
covers (careful, they are getting old ) some places were the rear of the
car grounds itself. These screw into the sheet metal connections have
been in place since the car was built, twenty plus years?  :)

Clean them with some contact cleaner and apply a light coat of something
to keep the O2 out in the future. Dielectric grease is great, Vaseline
works OK if that's what you have.

Also the bulb sockets are questionable as well after all this time, give
them the treatment too.

One enterprising soul (A Lister perhaps? I forget) installed a long med
gauge 'Hot" wire from the battery back to the rear of the car and
installed relays (like you would with headlights) and (I guess) used the
existing original wires for the trigger current. Main power to the
lights, old crappy wire for the signal. Neat.

Lastly, have you considered you may not be putting out very much power
from the Alt, once all is said and done. That, considering old wires
leads to parasitic losses by the time you get to the back of the car.
Might want to break out the meter and test a bit. Good thing our cars
are not much longer. :)

hth,
TBerk
Returning to the Roots of the List.