Re: extracting exhaust manifold studs!!!!

WaspHwy@aol.com wrote:

> I am attempting to install new studs in the old (4-2) manifold I have. I have
> it out of the car, and sucessfully extracted and installed a new stud, but
> broke the other 5 off flush with the mani. what is the best way to get the
> old studs out? I am drilling a hole in the middle of one as we speak. any
> ideas?
>
> --

Well, it's Sat by the time I read this, How did you do?

I must say, I tried to get one out that I found during an engine swap,
thought I knew enough to try- found I still have a lot to learn.  :)

If you consider the easy out thing be sure to oversize it one size more
than what you would think, esp true of the drill size you prep the thing
with.

I found you can't crank on the easy out and expect it to torque the
thing out. Drill, drill, drill. Get out to the threads before inserting
the easy out, and don't forget our friend the Liquid Wrench. Right after
drilling and things are hot might be a good time to douse it and let it
soak a bit.

hth,
TBerk