Re: Clutch replacement-day 1

eric chase person wrote:

> Well my car is in pieces all over the lawn tonite.  I've got the engine
> and tranny separated and getting ready to replace a whole bunch of shit
> tomorrow on the trans and shift linkage.  I also found a bad rack boot
> that I think ill take care of now while the engine is out.  But basically,
> everything is going pretty smoothly, no big problems yet.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> 1. How do you get the mainshaft seal out?  I assume that you get something
> in there to pry it out but I'm not sure and the bentley doesnt mention it
> i dont think.

I've seen something like a bent dental pick used to pull them out. Be
sure not to score the metal surfaces as you hook it though.

> 2. For the pushrod bushing, is it right in the end of the mainshaft?  I
> was looking around a little and thought that i saw the brass bushing.  Is
> it hard to remove?  I remember someone saying that you could just break it
> up to get it out.  Do you have to take the pushrod all the way out to do
> this?
>
> TIA,
>
> Eric Person
> 86.5 16v

Eric, I replace the brass bushing when I swapped the engine, (it was
cracked) I just pulled the pushrod out 1st. You can hook the brass out
with a small screw driver or something.  Be careful not to scratch or
dent the pushrod though- it needs to stay smooth, smooth, smooth.

TBerk