Re: Electrical gremlins, continued...

Have you replaced the fuel filter? Does it stop bucking at higher rpms? You
could have some bad grounds uder the dash or on the intake manifold. Do you
hear relays clicking when it does this? I had a similar problem with my
wifes jetta ('82) and I put an 0 gauge cable from the battery to the body
and it helped quite a bit. HTH

>From: Brian C Barrows <ferret100@juno.com>
>To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
>Subject: Electrical gremlins, continued...
>Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:08:37 -0500
>
>I asked about this a few months ago, but let's recap:
>
>My Scirocco has been bucking for quite a while, around 2500 - 3500 rpm.
>My fuel-air gauge showed that the mixture would cycle between normal and
>lean at about 1.5 cycles per second.  I have made it my mission to solve
>this problem.  I replaced all of the vacuum lines, O2 sensor, injector
>seals and the control pressure regulator (which was bad).  That didn't
>solve the problem, but I found that if I turned the headlights on the car
>would run properly.  But once the lights were turned off it would run
>like crap again.  No one I have spoken to could figure it out .
>Everytime I did some kind of electrical work, the car would buck again.
>The solution to the problem would be (I'm not making this up!) to crank
>up the idle and the %CO (to minimize the bucking), drive about 30 miles
>for the car to "reset" itself, and then bring the idle and %CO back to
>normal.  It makes no sense, but it works.  I have given up trying to
>solve the problem (I found it simpler to just turn on the damn lights!).
>

>Two weeks ago I replaced some of the ground cables and the positive
>battery terminal clamp, along with cleaning the battery ground.  The
>problem returned, and this time it wouldn't go away.  I went to test the
>control pressure regulator again, and it was working.  I forgot to plug
>the regulator back in.  Now the car is running beautifully.  It starts
>out a bit rough and runs pretty rich during warm-up, but after about 15
>minutes it's running slightly rich.
>
>Any ideas?  I"m totally stumped by my 2,100 lb brain-teaser.  My attitude
>right now is to simply leave the regulator unplugged until the car has to
>go into the shop for something I can't fix.  I think the only thing to do
>now is sit back and have a Corona...
>
>B.
>
>'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz")
>'85 Jetta
>GO HOKIES!!!
>
>--

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (with a severely mangled trunk lock thanks to the fucking thieves!)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco