Re: upper strut bushings

Hey Randy! I have poly bushings on my car. I'm not sure what kind you have,
but mine are from bugpack. they go inside the earlier bearing assemblies. I
know exactly what you mean. The top caps are too close to the bushing and
the springs turn in their perches when I turn sharply at very slow speeds
(parking lot). I read somewhere on the package that they take some time to
settle. Im not sure about yours but ive had mine for about 2 years and they
have not settled. No stiffness when turning the wheel though. HTH

>From: "Randy B" <scirokn81@email.msn.com>
>To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>Subject: upper strut bushings
>Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:40:35 -0800
>
>I thought I would post this again in case anyone
>has any input that may have missed it last time.
>
>Tech question:
>
>When I mounted new front OEM upper strut
>bushings/bearings I noticed a little play due to
>the sleeve that the strut shaft passes through
>and the top nut/washer tightens down on to.
>I have installed many of these on my VW's
>and friends VW's and I have always noticed
>it being this way so figured it was normal. I
>figured it was this way to allow the strut to turn
>when you turn the wheels left to right.
>
>When I installed the Poly units on my Scirocco
>I noticed that they tighten down snug with no
>slack (shorter sleeve?). With this setup I assume
>that the strut must turn in its carrier when the
>wheels are turned L to R. Is this the way these
>poly units are supposed to work? Will this
>eventually damage the struts? (Bilstein HD's) If
>this is ok, would It be a good idea to grind down
>the sleeves for the OEM units (w/ Boge TG's) on
>my other Scirocco?
>
>If anyone has researched this or can help out
>it would much appreciated. Off to the races
>tomorrow, assuming the gas stations are open
>and the world does not end :)
>
>Thanks,
>Randy B.
>Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - 2.0L 16V
>(under the knife OSP car)
>Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc
>(my new CSP car until the other is done)
>

>--

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag
'82 GLI (with a severely mangled trunk lock thanks to the fucking thieves!)
'80 'Vert
'61 17 Window
'78 Scirocco