Re: dual downpipe

Shawn Meze sez:

>Senseless unless your someone who makes/sells new cats. Great law for
that geek.

I'm the geek! One of 'em anyway.

Shawn is right about an old cat being effective. I think the point of the law is
that in most cases you don't have any way to tell whether the cat is still good
or not.  Some people don't know that the effectiveness of the cat decreases over
time as the coating on the ceramic substrate is depleted of the catalyst.
Testing is the only way to tell how well the cat is working, and most places
don't/didn't do any emissions testing of any type. I know that's not the case in
Ca., big metro areas, etc. So, the Feds say to replace it simply to be certain
people aren't recycling inert cats.

Bill

Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com> on 02/14/2000 11:30:52 PM