Re: Fake cat (meow :) )

scirocco@eureka.eth.ericsson.se writes:
> I live in Hungary/Europe so it's very different I think.
> I have the original Cat - but it has nothing inside (it got beaten),
> visually it's a cat.
> But here I have to take the car yearly (or every second year if I
> have Cat) to an official supervision. So I know where to take the car &

> it means they measured it about 10 times, then asked me to push the
> gas, then switch the ignition off & then somehow got a result what was
> printable...
> I don't know what is the power loss because of the Cat's but there
> has to be. Without Cat it will not be weaker ;-)

Actually in your case it might be...
The chunks of catalyst had to go somewhere, they are probably trapped in
the muffler constricting the exhaust flow.

The '84 auto Rabbit Wilco delivery car had an empty cat replaced, but the
chunks were trapped in the muffler. The result was that sometimes it
would run fine and other times it would hardly accelerate. I also noticed
that at 55MPH it would actually accelerate when I eased off on the
accelerator...

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'80 Scirocco
'88 Scirocco 16V
'83 GTI, daily driver

              To reply to the Scirocco list click here:
<mailto:thescirocco@juno.com,scirocco-l@scirocco.org>