From: "Jan Folkson" <jfolkson@optonline.net>
To: "scirocco list" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2000 1:11 PM
Subject: HOLY CRAP!

Hi All,

Just got back from the dealership where I had my new stock exhaust put on
(Thanks Potterman).  While I was there I asked them to check out a small oil
leak that I've been noticing for a while now.  Being that the car has sat
idle for most of the winter, they didn't have any trouble finding out where
it was coming from...EVERYWHERE!  I need to reseal the entire motor and
transmission.  This sucks!  I also figure that I may as well replace the
original clutch since I'm going to have the tranny apart, as well as all of
the belts including the timing belt.  So here's a list of all of the stuff
that I'm going to have done:

Valve cover/cylinder gasket kit
All engine seals
O-ring
Timing belt
Tensioner
All V-belts
Crankshaft oil seal
Transmission seal kit
Clutch kit
Stretch bolts
12 month/12,000 mile warranty on parts and labor

All for the remarkable price of $2,060 + tax. HOLY CRAP :?

Not including anything else they happen to find when they have it all apart.
The upside is that I know the mechanics personally and the manager is a long
time friend so they're not just going to slap some silicone on, clean it and
tell me they did all the work.

- Jan Folkson

'86 16V
'99 Passat 1.8T