Re: newbie advice needed

In a message dated 2/9/00 11:56:53 AM Pacific Standard Time, vwdaun@yahoo.com
writes:

<<
 --- Matt Tippin <tippinm@cc.wwu.edu> wrote:

   Anyway, I'm a college kid
 > and have about
 > $4,000.  This should be plenty, right?  I'm not sure how
 > much they run.

<< $4000 should get you a pretty clean 16v.  An average 16v
 has been running between $1800-2500 or so, though they will
 usually need at least some work.  (Most used cars do!)>>

-----In my opinion, $4000 should get you a superb example (have it checked
out professionally before purchasing) with well under 100k...  hard to find
though.  Don't settle for anything less and take your time in purchasing one
(and be willing to travel a little).  You will find some.

 > What model I'm interested in are the 16V models.  Could
 > anyone tell me
 > exactly what years these were made?

 <<16v Sciroccos were available in the U.S. from '86.5 through
 '88.  That's it.>>

-----yep

 > Also, and probably most
 > important, how good of
 > cars are these?

 <<You're asking a very biased group.  Personally, I love
 them.  All cars have weaknesses, Sciroccos included.  But
 they're generally reliable and an absolute BLAST to drive.>>

-----I agree wholeheartedly!  They are wonderful fun to drive whether it is
for weekend excursions only (most of us Roc owners wish we could hold our
Rocs to being exclusive weekend drivers) or for daily driving.  And yes, they
have weaknesses...  expect to invest $$ at least in preventive maintainance.
But mine has been waaay reliable...  starts up without incident every
morning, raing or sun or ice.

>Are maintenance
> costs high?

<< The 16v is more expensive to maintain than the 8v for sure.
  There are a couple of list-endorsed vendors that can
 literally save you hundreds of dollars on parts.  BUY A
 BENTLEY (repair) MANUAL - it's the best investment you can
 make.>>

-----True, the 16v is more expensive to maintain than the 8v, but in the
performance advantage is well worth it in my opinion.  When the 16v Scirocco
was introduced, VW advertisers flaunted the fact that the 16v Scirocco would
outrun the Porsche 944 (non S-2 or Turbos).  Personally, my car runs well
(105k) and I can always barely nose ahead of my friends GS-R without a
problem in a straight line... and I leave him in the dust through the
corners.  So a well running 16v Scirocco (with no A/C, power windows, etc)
has, in my opinion, the best performance figures, and performance potential
for any European, and probably otherwise car for the money!!

> Sorry
 > to bug all of you, I know I have A LOT of questions, but
 > I want to make sure
 > my bases are covered.  Thanks in advance!!!

<< That's what the list is for - ask away!  And welcome! >>

-----That's right!!  I don't think you will find the "assholes" on this list
that I have seen on other auto news groups/mailing lists!  Like he said,
welcome!!  And good luck....  let us know what you find!