Re: newbie advice needed

--- Matt Tippin <tippinm@cc.wwu.edu> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm in the process of looking for a new car and I'm
> really interested in
> getting a Scirocco.  I used to have an 87 Accord, but it
> recently "died" -
> it's time for something new.

Another Honda driver has seen the light.  :)

  Anyway, I'm a college kid
> and have about
> $4,000.  This should be plenty, right?  I'm not sure how
> much they run.

$4000 should get you a pretty clean 16v.  An average 16v
has been running between $1800-2500 or so, though they will
usually need at least some work.  (Most used cars do!)

> What model I'm interested in are the 16V models.  Could
> anyone tell me
> exactly what years these were made?

16v Sciroccos were available in the U.S. from '86.5 through
'88.  That's it.

  Was the last year
> Scirocco's were made
> 1988?  Do the 16V's have the Recaro seats and different
> interior?

The seats are Recaro style, but I can't say for certain
that they are indeed true Recaros.  They came in either
black leather or black leatherette bolsters w/ grey & black
cloth centers.

  Also, is
> is a 5 speed tranny?

AFAIK, all 16v Sciroccos were 5 speeds.  I heard rumour of
an extremely rare automatic 16v, but I've never ever seen
one.

  Could anyone tell me about
> horsepower figures or
> anything about the engine?

The stock 16v engine is a 1.8l with 123 h.p. and about 120
ft/lbs of torque @ I believe 4250 RPM.  (I'm going off the
top of my head as I'm at work.)  The 8v is also 1.8l (after
'83.5) and had 90 h.p. and about 100 ft/lb torque @ 3000
RPM.

    Also, and probably most
> important, how good of
> cars are these?

You're asking a very biased group.  Personally, I love
them.  All cars have weaknesses, Sciroccos included.  But
they're generally reliable and an absolute BLAST to drive.

Do
> they rust easily or break down easily?

Early Sciroccos had a serious rust problem, but the later
ones have been relatively rust free.  I drive mine all over
the midwest and Canada without much trouble.

  Are maintenance
> costs high?

The 16v is more expensive to maintain than the 8v for sure.
 There are a couple of list-endorsed vendors that can
literally save you hundreds of dollars on parts.  BUY A
BENTLEY (repair) MANUAL - it's the best investment you can
make.

Sorry
> to bug all of you, I know I have A LOT of questions, but
> I want to make sure
> my bases are covered.  Thanks in advance!!!

That's what the list is for - ask away!  And welcome!

=====
Daun Yeagley
'79 Scirocco    <---SOLD :(
'80 Scirocco S
'81 Rabbit Pickup
'85 Scirocco 8v (2)
'88 Scirocco 16v
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."  - Dave Barry