Re: Help with timing!!

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Jonathan Miles wrote:

> My question is:
>
> 1.  What is happening and how do I fix it.

Perhaps the injectors? Does the frequency (rate, not pitch) of the pings
vary with RPMs? Did it just start happening? I know high pitched noises
are hard to locate, but any idea where it's coming from?

I don't know anything about carbs (beyond what they do), so I can't
suggest anything with that.

> 2. If the problem is caused by mis-alignment of crank/intermediate/camshaft
> caused, say, by cam-belt slipping. How do I re-align them?

If you've never replaced the timing belt, now might be a good time,
otherwise just remove the timing belt, and re-do the timing.

> 3. Can anyone identify the timing marks on the fly-wheel (accessed through a
> hole in the transmission).  Is the deep V-shaped mark TDC, or is TDC the
> fainter dot to the right of the V (facing the fly-wheel?

The heavy mark is (as far as I know) 6 degrees before TDC, while the faint
mark is TDC (somebody correct me if I'm wrong; these is how I understood
Bentley, and makes sense given the turning direction of the flywheel).

-Oliver

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
    Scirocco MkII Diary - http://erisian.com/~oseiler/scirocco/index.html