Help with timing!!

Hi all,

Please can someone help me out here.  I have a 1990 Scirocco GTII which is
making a light, metallic, tapping noise.  The noise occurs only under load
e.g low gear, up a hill and open throttle.  I'm pretty sure that it's caused
by detonation (Pinking, Pinging?).
It sounds for all the world like the timing is too far advanced and yet if I
retard the ignition (even to the point that the engine barely runs)  it
still occurs.  I've used a strobe light to check the timing and all seems
fine.  Vacuum advance works, as does mechanical advance.  What is going on!?

The car has a Pierburg 2E2 carb (unfortunately) but this seems to be working
OK. All vacuum hoses are in good shape and the cold start/waxstat system is
good.

My question is:

1.  What is happening and how do I fix it.

2. If the problem is caused by mis-alignment of crank/intermediate/camshaft
caused, say, by cam-belt slipping. How do I re-align them?

3. Can anyone identify the timing marks on the fly-wheel (accessed through a
hole in the transmission).  Is the deep V-shaped mark TDC, or is TDC the
fainter dot to the right of the V (facing the fly-wheel?

I'm tearing my hair out over this one and I'd be really grateful if anyone
can save me having to buy a new carb. (my prime suspect at the moment).

Cheers,

Jonathan

'90 Scirocco GTII