Re: [RAMBLINGS] Trusting Mechanics

I honestly do NOT look forward to the day that I cannot fix my own cars and
I have to trust my cars (whatever they may be at that time) by faith to some
guy in a grimy uniform at a shop only interested in money.  In my years of
being a technician it is always the companies that go out of their way and
do little things that create a very satisfied and happy customer even when
they spent more than they wanted!  For instance if your car has to go on the
lift to do something under the car (even for an oil change) they should
always peek at the exhaust, brakes, leaks etc. for two reasons:  the
customer feels fully served, and if they buy something, hey, the shop makes
more money. A win/win situation.  At the same time though, I, being a tech,
realize that the companies need to be protected too!!!  It is a sad day when
we have to make a list of what scratches are on the car (etc.) just so we
aren't held responsible for the things the customer wants to blame on us.
On the other hand, I believe that the shops should stand behind everything
that goes wrong while working on a car (the larger corprate owned shops do
well with this).  If I were you, Julie, I would of never paid for the 1hr
diagnosis time.  When customers come in and request that something be
checked/replaced, we note that we did the work, what is needed next (if any)
and that the customer requested the work that was done so if it doesn't
solve their problem and they didn't want it diagnosed, it is not the techs
or the shops fault.  In your case, they just ripped you off for an extra 53
bucks!!

I believe that most shops that have the owner on site (smaller shops) are
more trustworthy since you can tell them if you have a problem with the
service and since their number one priority is to keep you as a customer
they will usually do what is needed to make you happy as long as it is
realistic.  Plus, I think that the integrity of the shop as a whole is not
compromised nearly as much if the owner (boss) is there.  I was a manager
for a large Radiator/Muffler/Brake chain for a year and the things we could
get away with, my oh my!!!!  When the cat is away, the mice will play!!!

So, in my search for the perfect shop when I am 80, I would look for a
smaller shop, sharply dressed employees, and watch and see what kind of
little things that they do for you free of charge.  This shows that you
don't have to spend a mint to be an important customer.  One of the areas my
shop fails.    Anyway, I am just rambling so I will stop now.  I have some
strong feelings about this subject and, who knows, I may have my own shop
someday.  Just my 2 cents and Go back and get your 53 bucks back Julie!!!!

Dave