Re: [RANT] Trusting Mechanics

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 10:47:41 -0500 "Julie Macfarlane"
<juliemac@telenet.net> writes:

> Damn I hate being ripped off. I should have known better than to
> trust a mechanic....I have just added them to the list with polititions
and
> lawyers..(No offence to the fellow listers who are members of this
> profession.)
>
> Battery voltage drops to 10v with the head lights on and kills the
> battery over the drive home in the dark. Disgusted, I dropped off the
car at
> a garage recommended by a co-worker. Marks VW Repair of Rt9, Round
> Lake NY.
>
> The car was dropped off at 8:30 am, with instructions to replace the
> alternator and the front & rear motor mounts. By lunch time they had
> not even looked at the car. by 4:30pm, they told me that it needed an
> alternator (Duh) and that the motor mounts had not been replaced. The
part
> would be at the garage in the morning. Oh, by the way, there would be a
1 hour
> labor charge for the charging system analysis. ($53.00). I rode to home

> and back to work with another co-worker.
>
> By lunch time the next day the alt had still not been replaced and
> neither had the motor mounts. They would need another day... I told him
that
> I wanted the car today. That I would pick it up after 5pm.
>
> The alt had been replaced by that time and the bill was ready when I
> walked in... $145.00 for a re-built alternator and 1 hour for
installation
> ($53.00). Total bill? $266.00. On the bill was a list of the seals
> and things needing repair/replacement. No where on the bill did it
> mention the bad motor mounts.
>
> I bought the rear motor mount for $19.00, the front for $10.00 and
> the front plate for $30.00. In 10 minutes, after getting warm socks, a
sweater
> and the Blue Suit on, I'll do the job in 20 deg weather....

That's pretty quick, I guess I'm a tantric mechanic... 8^)

Jonathan Royce set up a page for getting things off your chest, warning
fellow VW owners,
or giving kudos to the good guys. http://www.nh.ultra.net/~jtroyce/ .

VW shops like that make me look good. <g>
http://www.nh.ultra.net/~jtroyce/hitech-services.html

Btw, do you have a/c on that Scirocco? If you don't, $53 is a little
steep...

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"