Re: [RANT] Trusting Mechanics

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 18:17:52 -0500 "Michael Abatzis" <abatzis@hotmail.com>
writes:
> $145 for a rebuilt alternator seems pretty steep. when i eventually
> find a good mechanic and take my car there (hasn't happened in 5 years
so
> far), i'm supplying my own parts.
>

> > Btw, do you have a/c on that Scirocco? If you don't, $53 is a
> little steep...
>
> even if you do have a/c that's steep. mine takes about 20 min to
> swap out. and that's just because i don't have an 8 mm (or whatever
that
> little guy is) socket, and have to use a box wrench...
>
> -michael
> 88 scirocco 16v

Replacing a 16V alternator, with a/c, is about as difficult as replacing
a pre-'85 non a/c  alternator.

On the early factory a/c setups it is a lot more involved...
My GTI has the same a/c setup, and I have to drain and remove the
radiator, to remove the 90A alternator.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"