RE: [elec] lights dimming

<snip foxxinabox>
<<  i noticed that the lights on my '85 don't seem to
 be as bright as those on my '86 (haven't checked it yet with a
 voltmeter), however i did notice one strange thing. for some reason or
 another i honked my horn while driving at night and noticed that my
 lights dimmed slightly. it does this despite which horn button i press. >>

<end snip>

I'd suspect the voltage regulator.  Take it off the back of your alternator
and check the length of the brushes.  Potterman has non-Bosch replacements
for around $20, IIRC.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II