Re: Another Mk1 owner joins the ranks

Nate Mellom wrote:

> Well, as many of you know, I went and looked at the white '81 last
> night.  Here's what I found.
>
> Rust:  Wasn't NEARLY as bad as I thought it was...

POR-15!

> Started PERFECTLY, albeit a bit slow (hadn't been started in a while,
> took a couple cranks).  Ran like an absolute TOP!!!!  Saw no evidence of
> burning anything.
>
> ...kind of a turbo-winding-up whirring noise
> upon acceleration, sounded like in the rear, cause for concern?

Check the idle adjustment screw back of the intake manifold. It can
become loose and make a turbo whistle noise. Potter has replacements (to
get a new O-Ring you buy the whole brass screw. Price is cheap)

> The 1.7 felt so much better than my JH with my Autotech 268
> cam and a K&N, odd.....

Maybe not so odd, the 1.7 is a funny bore, stroke combo, and the cam is
veeeery mild. Setup for antismog rules, etc.

> Cause for hopefullness:... It seemed as though someone cared
> about this car at some point.

Yeah!

> Compression: 140, 145, 151, 150  Kinda low, but within parameters set by
> Bentley (Dealer quote when asked if I could perform a compression test:
> "Kind of a lot of hassle for a $500 car, isn't it?"   Nope.)

ROTFL!

> Passengers seat rocks on its mounts a bit

Get 4 each of Left & Right nylon channel 'feet' for the front seats,
replace all eight while you are at it. Cheap fix. One of the feeeew
things I will send you to the dealer for.  :]

> Oil/coolant/tranny fluid/etc.

BRAKE Fluid!

> Replace windshield, crack is worse than I thought
> Get some snow tires and have fun!!!!
>
> Gonna be a fun weekend.....
> Nate
> '84 8v
> '81.....um......how should I label this one?
> =o)

How about 81 - the undercoated, rustproofed one.

TBerk
Congrats