Another Mk1 owner joins the ranks

Well, as many of you know, I went and looked at the white '81 last
night.  Here's what I found.

Rust:  Wasn't NEARLY as bad as I thought it was, the outside of the
fenders between the wheels and doors are rusty, but not as bad as I
thought, and not on the inside.  The inner fender walls, floorboards,
suspension mounting points, etc. all look very good, actually.  Minor
rust in the spare-tire well.

Started PERFECTLY, albeit a bit slow (hadn't been started in a while,
took a couple cranks).  Ran like an absolute TOP!!!!  Saw no evidence of
burning anything.

The drive was good, cluch felt strong, the FF (I had reported it had a
5F....amazing what you can actually SEE in the daylight) shifted very
nice, engine pulled strong (it made one odd noise, it almost sounded
like a rear differential noise (yes, I know, I'm comparing it to the
noise my buddy's Supra makes), kind of a turbo-winding-up whirring noise
upon acceleration, sounded like in the rear, cause for concern?  The 1.7
felt so much better than my JH with my Autotech 268 cam and a K&N,
odd.....Rode good, the creaks from the suspension went away (from
sitting a while, perhaps), shock and springs could be replaced soon, I
suppose.  Brakes felt good. Mono wiper and squirter work, rear wiper and
squirter work.  Rear window defroster works.  Heater works, no A/C.
Steering boots are both in good shape.  (Did stall at an intesection
once, stopped at a stop light and it just died, started right back up
again, no other problems)

Cause for hopefullness:  Under the hood:  Bosch plugs (used but still in
good shape), Bosch wires/cap, VW/Audi oil filter, a spare bottle of
VW/Audi brake fluid.  It seemed as though someone cared about this car
at some point.

Compression: 140, 145, 151, 150  Kinda low, but within parameters set by
Bentley (Dealer quote when asked if I could perform a compression test:
"Kind of a lot of hassle for a $500 car, isn't it?"   Nope.)

And the result?  I'm picking up my winter driver this afternoon!!!
Some things I know I need to do:
Replace oil temp gauge (gone), and perhaps an oil pressure gauge instead
of the non-working clock
Replace both speedo and tach bulbs (Mk1 owners, help?  I'm sure I can
figure it out but.....)
Passengers seat rocks on its mounts a bit
Oil/coolant/tranny fluid/etc.
Replace windshield, crack is worse than I thought
Get some snow tires and have fun!!!!

Gonna be a fun weekend.....
Nate
'84 8v
'81.....um......how should I label this one?
=o)