Re: Engine and tranny in my '81

Nate Mellom wrote:

> The engine is stamped 1.6 H, but a lister told me its actually a
> 1.7.....which engine do I have?
> And, how does my FF compare to my 4K?
> Nate
> '81, '84

The other guys have the correct info on the 1.7, if original or sim it
is cast 1.6 because it is the same on the outside as a 1.6.

Your transaxle(s) can be found in depth in Brett's update Gear list on
<http://www.Scirocco.org> , click on the gears at the bottom.

Basic diff between the two is the 4k is known as a narrow ratio trans,
has low gears compared to the other and is quicker off the line, the 81
came with a tall geared trans and has a much better top end for cruising.

Some folks like to put the 4k in a car for acceleration and swap it's
5th gear for better freeway mpg & less 'buzzyness'.

I like to swap engines for more torque and keep my wide ratio trans the
way it is.  8]

hth,
TBerk