Scirocco mk1 engine transplant

Reply to: detwiler@cs.washington.edu

----- Original Message -----
From: "Landon Todd Detwiler" <detwiler@cs.washington.edu>
To: <scirocco-l-probs@scirocco.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 6:44 PM
Subject: Scirocco mk1 engine transplant

I just bought a Scirocco mk1 as a project car. It needs a new engine and I
am trying to determine the best replacement for it. I am thinking about
staying with the 8 valve so that I can just bolt the new engine right in. I
saw a place on the web that sells an 8 valve 1.8 liter that has been bored
out to 2 liters. If I wanted to have this done myself, which block would
work best, or are the 1.8s in the Scirocco, Jetta, GTI all the same? Would
one year or model stand up best to this kind of bore? Where would I then get
pistons and rings? I need some advise.
Thanks,
Todd