Re: Great Find! @ Waterfest!

Well IMHO, cutting dwon the shifter is just about as cheap and stupid of a
mod as you can get. It makes you reach for a shifter that no longer has
proportionate throw with respect to the clutch pedal travel. If you have
done this I would advise NOT to let anyone else drive it as they will do
exactly what TMB did. Once again, ONLY MY OPINION.

>     that guy let me sit in the car as well.  it was so beautiful, and the
>shifter was really tight, but almost too tight.  does anyone else here sort
>of prefer the "sloppy" shifter?  i've completely replaced all of the little
>rubber/foam bushings and adjusted my linkage to as tight as it's gonna get,
>and there's still quite a bit of sloppiness in it.  but i love it!
>
>     people want short shifters, weighted shiftrods, super-precise
>linkages...i dunno, i can't handle them.  a buddy of mine has a worked mk3
>golf with a shortened shifter and weighted shiftrod.  one of the first
>times
>we hung out, we're at this gathering with probably 60 or so people.  he
>threw me the keys and tells me to take it for a ride.  so i get in, and
>play
>with the shifter for a second, getting a feeling for it, and the first time
>that i shift it into second gear, i jammed second.  hard
>
>     it was embarassing.  i just could not get the feel for it.  i drove it
>around a bit more and got more and more used to it, but just couldn't get
>into it.
>
>     just my opinion...
>
>     once again, i saw the linkage kit, felt it, and took pix of it.  it's
>fantastically-well manufactured piece of equipment, just not up my alley

Chris DeLong
ICQ#45030867
Seattle, WA USA
'80 16V Rag