Re: Great Find! @ Waterfest!

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 03:53:10AM +0000, Chris DeLong wrote:

> Well IMHO, cutting dwon the shifter is just about as cheap and stupid of a
> mod as you can get. It makes you reach for a shifter that no longer has
> proportionate throw with respect to the clutch pedal travel. If you have
> done this I would advise NOT to let anyone else drive it as they will do
> exactly what TMB did. Once again, ONLY MY OPINION.

I disagree... when I got my car, there was no perceptable differce between
1'st, 3'rd, and 5'th. Every time I shifted into 3'rd, i'd bang my knuckles
on the radio console. Every time i shifted into 5'th, i'd bang by
passenger's knee. When i wanted to shift out of fifth, i'd have to lean
forward and grope to find the shifter.

Replacing the bushings, the rubber ball and the shift rod guide helped a
lot with the sloppiness, but the geometry still sucked.  A homemade short
shif kit and weighted shifter i built when i still had access to a full
machine shop helped a with banging knees and dashboard. It's basicaly a
clone of a techtonics kit... www.angband.org/dan/ss for pics) This was
much better, but i didn't like the height of the shifter... it felt like i
was driving a bus. I tried cutting down the stock shifter.. i liked the
height, but the curvature of the stick made my MOMO tall anatomic handle
sit weird in my hand. Someone then gave me the shifter from a
cabriolet... same as a Scirocco but with a straight handle. I cut it to
the same lenght as my modified scirocco handle, and it's great. I don't
know what this second gear crunch is that you are all referring to, maybe
the car's synchros are shot. Other people have driven my car, no one has
crunched. I now find that my hand nautrally falls to where the shifter is,
no having to grope for it. The feel of the weighted shifter makes for much
smoother shifts than before. (I added 1.5 pounds by welding a piece of
round rod to the seletor rod.)

Dan

--
I have never seen anything fill up a vacuum so fast and still suck.

	-- Rob Pike, commenting on The X Window System