Re: Broke axel

Julie Macfarlane wrote:

> Do both axels provide power to the wheels? When the axel broke, all it did
> was spin the one side. Could the tranny be bad?
> Julie Macfarlane
> '81 Scirocco (Mom)

No, it's natural for this to happen.

Inside the transaxle (PS- we don't have trannies, they are transaxles.
But i use tranny all the time so what the hey) there is between the two
axle a device that balances the power between the two sides. When one
side busts loose all the power spins the thing around and around.

Really technical explanation, huh?  :)

Suffice to say, when every thing is working right it's what helps you go
around corners and have the outside wheel spin faster then the inside
one.

TBerk
(sorry, a little loopy. In the past 10 days I have traveled about 8
thousand miles, almost a third via car.)