Re: Broke axel

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 23:19:44 -0400 "Julie Macfarlane"
<juliemac@telenet.net> writes:

>Do both axels provide power to the wheels? When the axel broke, all it
>did
>was spin the one side. Could the tranny be bad?
>Julie Macfarlane
>'81 Scirocco (Mom)
>'83 Rabid Jackalope GTi (Baby)
>'85 Wolfsburg Jetta (for sale)

Nope.
You need both axles connected with the ground in order to make thecar
move. Otherwise the path of least resistance (Thats an Engineer
term....LOL! ) makes the unloaded drive flange turn freely.
In a pinch, you can lock the drive flange down (Somehow, its a McGyver
move.) so it wont turn and the other wheel will drive the car. I had an
inner CV unbolt itself once after getting gas on a road trip home from
SF. That sucked but happily it was easily fixed. (30 degree weather and
im in a t-shirt under thecar trying to tighten CV bolts...... pure joy
that was.)

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V <--NEW
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' future "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!