Re: Engine Probs, But Much Rejoicing...

It sounds like you've got ground troubles.  Is your ground connection at the
coil clean?  When you say the instruments whack out, is it just the tach?
If it's just the tach, then your problem is with the coil.  If it's other
instruments too, then your dashboard ground is having trouble.  As for the
high idle, grounds could be causing that, but it's also likely the idle
stabilizer valve.  Take it off and spray it with carb cleaner.

I doubt the knock sensor has anything to do with your problems.  The knock
sensor would just retard your timing and you would notice it has a simple
lack of power.  I think.

Ian Overholt
'88 16v
'78 Champagne Edition