Engine Probs, But Much Rejoicing...

Hey there -

	Well, thanks to 'Chung, TBerk, Nate Pierce and Tberk's
neigbor Al, I have a tranny back in my '86 16v and I'm driving the
vixen warrior to work. It's so much better than the Cutlass Sierra
I've been driving in the meantime - I thought the torture would never
end!! heh heh... Anyways, aside from almost dying because I forgot to
tighten the lugs before I test drove the bastard, it's running great.
Tranny is hella stiff in through the first 3 gears, really chunky
compared to my poor self-machined dead one, and the sport clutch is
going to give me a left leg the size of Texas... (grin)
	Here's the latest issue I've gotta resolve though. I swapped
out the distributor/hall sender in the hopes that it would solve the
problem I've had for the last couple of months. When I start the car
up, 75% of the time it will idle at 2K rpm, and be ridiculously
rough. Other times, the tach will jump to 6 or 7K and the car will
feel fine, no missing, etc. but the gauges are all jacked. When I
pulled the old distributor there was oil in the cap, so I would have
had to change it anyway, but it's pissing me off that this problem is
still going on. The next thing on my list to change out is the knock
sensor, which I'll do tonight. Anyone got any ideas? The car runs
great once it is started with the gauges reading correctly (usually
takes a few tries) and it has no issues beyond this. (Well, there is
that downpipe with the cracked flex joint which is fuming me out of
the car - gotta drive the bastard with the windows down till I get
that done this weekend. heh heh...)
	Anyone got any ideas?

			And there was much rejoicing...

				Ben Patterson, 86' 16v back in da biz...
Ben Patterson 				Cell  - 650.274.7525
Networking/Macintosh			LiNCS - 650.725.4630
Systems Engineer			Email: bpatterson@stanford.edu
CRC-LiNCS/ITSS				Stanford University

"Try to remember there is no spoon..."
					- The Matrix