My gosh darn '81 16v (good news..kinda)

Hey all... it was a beautiful day in CT, so I decided to don my dirty car
working clothes and screw around with the Rocco.

Previously, the car wouldn't spark, and the fuel pump relay wouldn't
operate. So, I bought a new FP relay. All engine ignition management
components test Ok (I took them from a driving, running '89 GLI 16v).

Today, I cut the wire going between coil terminal 1, and fuse box C19
(effectively, the signal that grounds the fuel pump relay so it runs the
fuel pump).

Then, I hooked the fuel pump relay ground up to the CIS-E Knock Sensor
computer terminal 10, the way the CIS-E system was designed to operate.

Well, I turn the key expecting her to fire up and all to be well.

And by now, you know my car just doesn't work that way. heh..

Well, as I turned the key to the start position, the fuel pump relay
clicked, the engine turned, and nothing happened. I let go after like 5
seconds. I smelled fuel. Good.

Question #1: Isn't the fuel pump relay supposed to prime the pump like
before I try and start the engine? Mine didn't. Mine clicked as I turned it
to start.

...  Anywho, I tried cranking the engine again.. only this time I tried
pumping the gas on a hunch. Well, to my bliss, the engine started
sputtering. It sounded like things were sparking, and the engine was
firing..barely, but still firing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the gas pedal have nothing whatsoever
to do with getting an engine to start, since our cars are fuel injected? I
swear my screwing with the gas pedal caused the engine to sputter.

-Related topic (or clue #1): Before the engine swap, my 1.7l was dying, and
when trying to start it, I had to fuck with the gas pedal to get it to catch
and start. As soon as I let go of the gas pedal, it died. Coincedence? I
think not! I don't know what to make of it, tho.

The day was beautiful, and it was warm, and I vacuumed the car, and it made
me love my Scirocco again. All is well.

Now I just gotta get her to start.