Wheel bearing replacement/alignment

I have a front wheel bearing in the 'rocco that rumbles, especially in
curves, and sometimes squeals a bit at low speeds (<20mph).  Two questions:

First, is there any reason to replace wheel bearings in pairs?  I always
like to do brake components in pairs, but I don't see the need with
bearings.

Second, Bentley says I need to have the car realigned after I do the
replacement.  Is there a good way to do it that will allow me to avoid that
expense?  I'm a bit strapped for cash right now.

TIA!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating