Re: My gosh darn '81 16v (good news..kinda)

>Question #1: Isn't the fuel pump relay supposed to prime the pump like
>before I try and start the engine? Mine didn't. Mine clicked as I turned it
>to start.
Depends on exactly what you did.  The way it is supposed to behave is this:
the relay gets its power from the switched ignition feed, i.e when you turn
the key to position 1.  It will operate the fuel pump for a couple of
seconds, without the engine turning, before cutting-out.
After the first couple of seconds, it needs a regular signal from the
ignition circuit to keep it going.
The end result is, if you turn the key straight round to position 2. then
it's going to start cranking straight away.  If you turn to position 1 only,
you should hear the pump going for a couple of seconds, then cutting-out.
Ther should be no need for the pump to prime the circuit as system pressure
should be maintained by the regulator, unless you've got a faulty regulator
or leaky injectors.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the gas pedal have nothing whatsoever
>to do with getting an engine to start, since our cars are fuel injected? I
>swear my screwing with the gas pedal caused the engine to sputter.

Not true. If you open the throttle, there will be less restriction in the
air flow therefore you will get greater airflow & greater fuel flow.  In my
own case, I could turn the car all day, if it is cold, and it won't start
without a prod on the gas.

>-Related topic (or clue #1): Before the engine swap, my 1.7l was dying, and
>when trying to start it, I had to fuck with the gas pedal to get it to
>catch
>and start. As soon as I let go of the gas pedal, it died. Coincedence? I
>think not! I don't know what to make of it, tho.

Proves my point!
Every car is different - some need more help than others cold starting.

HTH,

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8