Re: My gosh darn '81 16v (good news..kinda)

>But isn't this in fact what turning the key to position 1
>does?  i.e. primes the fuel system?  In my experience, the
>Mk 1 fuel pump doesn't prime until you turn the key to
>position 2.  I'm not much for wiring, so I don't really
>know if the changes you made would change this though.

Well, with the old 1.7 8v, it primed. At one point, I had the 16v priming,
but now I don't know why it doesn't.

>Ok, backing up - you say that after cranking you smelled
>fuel.  Next you hit the gas pedal while cranking and got it
>to sputter a little.  My '80 is doing similar things on

Yeah.. which leads me to believe I just have a weak spark. The coil tests
out just fine (at least per the Bentley's specs resistance-wise). I was
having a little problem measuring the voltage at the coil.

Which brings me to my other point- Are the CIS-E computers supposed to be
given constant power, or switched (15) power?

The logical way my books tell me to do it, is to grab (30) power from the H
terminal on the back of the fuse box. Then, pass through a 15A fuse, and go
to terminal 15 of the coil. Off the other side of terminal 15 on the coil,
one wire goes to the idle stabilizer (and, that hums as the key is in the
(1) position.. (all good), and the other wire goes to a little block I made
which powers all three CIS-E computers (ICU, CIS-E brain, and knock brain).

It doesn't make sense that the computers should be given constant power, but
that's what the JEtta's Bentley says. Comments?

>What all did you replace in the swap?  Engine I know, but
>what about the related plumbing?  i.e. fuel distributor

Ohh yeah.. everything. I stripped the engine bay of the Jetta. All engine
components (except PS, and AC), all FI components (re-routed fuel send and
return lines to passenger side, too), and all electrical components. And the
radiator, and fan, etc.. Shit, I even saved the 4.2l washer fluid container
and put it where the old CIS fuel distributor was.. (heh.. I can say I have
a 4.2l under the hood, right?)

Pretty much, under the hood, it's an '89 Jetta GLI 16v, save maybe the
airbox and brake system. From the firewall back, it's an '81 Scirocco.

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v
'87 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon