Re: A question on fuel grades or octane

<snip>
I have always used premium fuel in my Scirocco
> thinking this was a better way to go.

<more snip>
Have I been wrong to use the 91 octane fuel?
</snip>

I also ran super unleaded in my 'roc, thinking it was better. Not so, at
least for my car. If your engine pings on anything less than super, make
sure your timing and stuff are OK, then use it. If it doesn't need it, don't
bother. Your wallet AND mileage suffer. The wallet part is obvious, but the
mileage goes down because the higher octane fuel doesn't burn properly, or
something to that effect. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, but I don't
think I'm that far off, if I am. 87 will probably be just fine for your
needs.

HTH (I think)

Zach
http://www.discover-net.net/~zach/index.htm