RE: A question on fuel grades or octane

The octane rating tells of the fuel's resistance to ignition. The higher the
compression is, the hotter the combustion chamber gets, and the more likely
that a carbon deposit will act as a rouge "spark plug".

Some engines, including the 16V, have a knock sensor, which is used by the
control computer to retard the ignition timing. While this may allow the
engine to work properly on lower octane fuel, the power output will be
reduced due to the retarded ignition.
Of course, this allows the owners of some cars to burn the cheap(er) stuff
around town, and splurge for a long trip or a day at the races.

As for cars lasting 50 years, VW is an indication that long-lasting cars can
be built. However, it would cost a lot more to actually build a car to last
this long, and after 20 years, most cars are very technologically obsolete,
need a lot of expensive work on the soft parts (upholstery, door seals, seat
belts, etc etc. Styles change, so people want newer looking cars.

Besides, if cars did last that long, there would be quite a lot fewer jobs
in that industry.

 R    ô¿õ
Antaki

 "- The world isn't fair, Calvin.
 - I know, but why it isn't ever unfair in my favor ?"
	- in "Calvin & Hobbes", by Bill Waterson