Re: A question on fuel grades or octane

jorel140@yahoo.com writes:

<< with an owners manual that reccomends against the
 premium brand fuels, and says the 87 octane fuel is
 best. Maybe so for a 2000 Neon, but what about a
 Scirocco? Have I been wrong to use the 91 octane fuel? >>

Their is no benefit from using high octane fuel on a car that does not
require it.  The only benefit would possibly be in the long run.  Some
premium fuel have detergents in them to help clean the engines.  Just assume
throwing in a bottle of Techron every once in a while to clean it up and save
the money.

Now the Rocco,  on my fuel cap it says Premium unleaded only.  I assume this
is because the 16v runs at Higher compression and requires higher octane.
Well just once,(and never again) I tried the 87 octane instead of the 93/94
that I usually use.
With this tank I heard some horrible noises, knocking and pinging had major
pre-ignition.  I ran to wall mart to get some octane booster and it helped a
little. I don't know about the 8v but it you have the 16v no you were not
wrong to use the 91 but I would use the 93/94. Later

Brian 86 16v
http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html