Re: A question on fuel grades or octane

> best. Maybe so for a 2000 Neon, but what about a
> Scirocco? Have I been wrong to use the 91 octane fuel?

  certain engines use are created to use certain types of gas (hence
leaded gas of the past). many of the newer engines incorporate better
technology to get the most of a certain grade of gasoline, in this case,
87 octane. why 87? probably becuse it is the most widely available (i've
been to stations that don't have 89 octane and others that don't have 91
(but 93) but none who've never had 87). at the same time, certain
octanes burn better and/or burn hotter and while trying to keep the
price of automotive parts down, sometimes less tolerant parts are used.
often times (as in the case with lower octane gas (85 octane at sunoco,
i believe) there are a higher number of impurities which can cause
problems with the engine of a vehicle. i only use 89 octane (91 when
it's the same price) in my scirocco simply because it burns better, the
car doesn't hesitate on take-off, and i just simply feel the difference.
as a final note, many of today's new cars, running with lower grade
fuels, will find no noticable difference in the use of a higher octane.

--
 /\_/\	  Foxx (in a box)
< o o >	  http://foxx.tripod.com