Re: A question on fuel grades or octane

> I have always used premium fuel in my Scirocco
> thinking this was a better way to go. I just bought a
> brand new car (which will not supplant the scirocco)
> with an owners manual that reccomends against the
> premium brand fuels, and says the 87 octane fuel is
> best. Maybe so for a 2000 Neon, but what about a
> Scirocco? Have I been wrong to use the 91 octane fuel?

Maybe this is one more of the car companies ploys to make the car last a
shorter life.  I am in school for automotive design, and one thing I have
learned is that the technology is there to make a car that lasts over 50
years easily.  Car companies refuse to produce such a vehicle because then
who would they sell cars to once everyone has a car that lasts them forever.

Not sure to answer your question about octane, but from what I know, the
octane rating just means resistance to knocking

Casey
84 Black Roc