[elec] fuel pump relay/ignition woes '81 16v

Whew.. first time this year I've gone outside to the back yard worked on the
old car.

So the deal is.. the fuel pump relay doesn't activate (prime the fuel pump)
when I turn the ignition on. Therefore (?), the ignition control unit
doesn't get the signal to start sparking when I activate the starter.

I'm not a fucking idiot here. I know I'm coming up on the first anniversary
of my car not running, but there's just weird shit happening with my car.

So, me and my friend found out some interesting things today.

I bought a new fuel pump relay from the Pottermeister, and that
unfortunatley didn't help.

I know the wire from coil terminal 1 to the fuel pump relay has continuity.
Every wire going into the relay is doing what it should be. The relay socket
proves to have hot (30) power, switched (15) power, ground (31), and the
red/yellow wire has
continuity to the fuel pump itself.

Never does the fuel pump relay click. the Load Reduction Relay does click
when I turn the key to "on".

Since I took out the old CIS computer, I can dispose of the "Oxy Volt Supply
Relay", and that whole mess, right?

Also, on a somewhat related event, the red/bk wire that went from coil
terminal 1 to fuse box C19 was found broken and was replaced. The next time
we turned the ignition on, the fuse for the heater fan blew. We couldn't
find out anything more on that trail.

I have a hunch that there's some kind of ground loop or maybe corroded
wires, or bad insulation on a positive wire going through and hitting
chassis ground somewhere. I just don't know where to start looking. I don't
want to have to take entire looms out for inspection if I don't have to.

whatever happened, it's eluded me for a long while.

So, y'all were talking tech day at my house a while ago, eh? Anyone still up
for a Sunday at my place in Connecticut? Feel like helping a loyal lister
get his '81 16v running?

ehh?? <flashes puppy dog eyes>

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v