Re: Help - Mk 1 16v wiring

>I've got a friend who's not on the list who is thinking
>about installing a 16v in his '81 Scirocco.  His major
>stumbling block is the wiring - he needs to know just what
>all needs to be done.  Can anyone who's done this
>conversion shed some light on what is involved?

Yeah.. me too.

It's actually kind of easy. My problem is that the car wasn't running BEFORE
the swap.

Let's see... These are instructions for an '81, or any Mk1 with a
breakerless transistorized ignition system previously installed in the car.
If it's the old points-style, you may just need to replace the resistance
wire with a real wire.

My job was to put an '89 GLI 16v engine and harness (CIS-E) into an '81
Scirocco (previously CIS w/O2 sensor).

The 16v harness splices into the car at only a few points.

The first point is the coil terminals.

The positive (#15) terminal has to be getting power from the Scirocco's fuse
box. This is a connection you don't have to modify, but just make sure it's
still there. This will be a single point connector.
>From the 16v harness, The other single point connector on the positive coil
lead has two wires sticking out of it. One is black, and it goes to the ICU,
and the other goes to the idle stabilizer.

The negative (#1) terminal has a red/bk wire that is originally part of the
the Scirocco (in the same wire tube as the bk positive wire that went to the
fuse box). This wire remains unchanged. It should still go from C19 on the
fuse box to terminal 1 on the coil. This wire gives info to the old fuel
pump relay and the tach.
>From the 16v harness, there's a thicker green wire that has to go to the
ICU. I used the 16v harness's double point connector on the 16v coil.

There are two brown wires coming from the ICU that have to go to battery
ground.

One thing that I'm not sure on is a T2 connector. On the Scirocco's end, it
is a blue wire and a green wire. On MY 16v harness ('89 GLI 16v) it's a
red/ylw, and a grn/ylw wire. They used to go into my old CIS O2 computer,
but I don't know the nature of these wires, and if they have to be plugged
into the same T2 connector on the 16v harness's end. I can only assume they
do, because.. hey, why not?

There's several black wires that have to be twisted together on the 16v
harness. On the Jetta it came from, there was a T3 connector with two blacks
and one white wire. The two blacks have to be twisted to the lead coming off
of coil terminal #15 that goes to the ICU. All together. This is so each
computer gets power (i.e. the CIS-E, Knock and ICU computers).

That's all I really had to do to splice it into my '81.

I hope this doesn't sound like some mad scientist's ramblings...

Again.. anyone up for a tech day at my place in CT? I'm getting sick of a
sLOOOOOWWWW Subaru??? Yes???

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v
'87 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon (SLLOOOOWWWWW and handles like a Packard)