Re: Help - Mk 1 16v wiring

Daun,
My opinion is to go find a donor Mk2 16V and completely wire its harness to
your Mk1.
(this may irritate some of the Mk2 crowd, but the Mk2 donor will be living
on in spirit 8)  )
David G. and I are both putting 2.0 16V's in our 80 and 81 Sciroccos, and we
both managed to come across complete Mk2 16V donors.
I am actually torn because my Gold 87 is still a nice complete daily driver,
I almost want to keep it that way. Hmmmmm.... Oh well, my Cosmos 81 will be
much nicer and faster when I'm finished.
We are doing it this way because we are both electricly impaired and wanted
a complete plug-n-play setup to run with CIS-E.
With a donor car you can take your time uninstalling the harness, marking
each connection as where it goes and then install it in the Mk1 without
being an electical engineer,.....hopefully....... 8)
The donor car was also a great idea because of all the parts we can swap to
our Mk1's like the newer uncracked dash, complete 4-wheel disc conversion,
power steering, lower strut tiebar, etc, etc..... to transfer over to the
Mk1. If you have a place to do it, you can part out the rest of the car and
hopefully make back the money you initially paid for it. :)
In order to get our cars to pass the smog board we are both putting in the
1.8's out of the donor cars first and then putting our built 2.0's in after
they have been signed off. (CA is real anal about this as the fuel system
must match the motor for a given year and the smog board checks it with
magnifying glasses and mirrors). Craig Williams just had this done if anyone
has any questions about their dedication.

Disclaimer: Neither one of us have actually started our projects yet, so
this is all just theory.

Randy B
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t 1847cc 8V
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - future 2.0 16V project
Gold 87 Scirocco 16V - donor for above