Re: Help - Mk 1 16v wiring

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 11:50:01 -0700 (PDT) Daun Yeagley <vwdaun@yahoo.com>
writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a friend who's not on the list who is thinking
> about installing a 16v in his '81 Scirocco.  His major
> stumbling block is the wiring - he needs to know just what
> all needs to be done.  Can anyone who's done this
> conversion shed some light on what is involved?

One option is to swap in the entire electrical system. At first it might
sound a little crazy, but the early fuse panels are a joke with all the
piggy backed relays.
The 16V fuse/relay panel fits the Mk1 fuse panel bracket and I enlarged
the firewall conduit holes with my my cutting wheel, yes they are
perfectly round and it was easier than I thought.

I decided to go this route in my '79 Scirocco, because the original
wiring was all screwed up anyway, for instance it had a switch for the
fuel pump...

Hopefully I will be able to bring it to CINCY.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'84 Scirocco 2.0L
'83 GTI
'80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V, '86 GLi for parts