From: Aaron Ness [mailto:Aaron@makuta.com]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 1999 12:09 PM
To: 'scirocco'
Subject: Progress and loads of questions

I fired up the 'rocco again yesterday.  I had to clean some corrosion from
the Hall sender connection again, and I'm going to try to get some
dielectric grease in there to keep it working this time.  I finally got the
freeze plug installed too.  Someone suggested putting a socket in the center
so I could hold the socket while I beat on it.  It worked great, and I
didn't have to pull the exhaust manifold.  None of this crap where I hit the
plug and it jumps back out of the block at me.

Anyway, I have a few questions now.  First, I have an exhaust leak that
makes it kind of noisy.  How do I disconnect the downpipe from the manifold?
Do I just pry off those two clips?  If so, how do I get them back on?

Next, I need to adjust my fuel mixture, and although a lister is selling me
a Bentley, I haven't yet received it and I'm anxious to get it done.  Is it
a straightforward procedure that someone can rattle off the top of their
head?  Am I correct that the only special tools I need are a dwell meter and
an allen wrench?  I think I found the adjustment screw - is it the one down
in a hole in the left side of the fuel distributor (as you're facing the
engine) that takes a 3mm allen wrench?  It's a stock 8V in an '84, BTW.

Third, I have a coolant leak that appears to be coming from the radiator
somewhere.  If I need to replace the radiator, what can I use from a
junkyard?  Any A1?  What about A2?  It appears to be the same as my
brother's '85 GTI.

Fourth, my shifter is sloppy.  I replaced almost all the shift bushings.  By
almost, I mean that I could only find a place for two of the four small
plastic bushings, and I only replaced one of the rubber donuts that go on
the ball and socket-type connections because they appeared to be in good
condition.  Many of the other bushings were pretty well shot, and the rubber
ball was missing from the relay lever, so I replaced that too.  Can anyone
tell me where the other two small bushings go?  I haven't checked back under
the shift lever yet to see if there are worn out parts there.  What else
could be causing the problems?  When I think I'm putting it in first, it's
actually in reverse.

TIA for help on any of these!

Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!